Certificate General Information
Upon successful completion of the courses required for the certificate program, students will receive a University of Florida certificate from the college in their chosen specialty. Each certificate consists of 15 credits. Students must earn a B average or higher to be eligible to earn the certificate.
Students wishing to subsequently pursue a master's degree at the University of Florida after completing a certificate will then need to apply for admission to the graduate school and take the GRE exam. Please see the MS program requirements and application for further information.
Certificate Minimum Requirements
Certificate Minimum Requirements: For All (Domestic and International) Applicants
- A baccalaureate degree in a science subject from an accredited institution. If your bachelor's degree is not in a natural science subject, please email email Professor Nancy Toffolo at email@example.com.
- An upper-division GPA of 2.0 or higher. To calculate what your upper-division GPA is, please use the Upper Division GPA Worksheet.
Additional Certificate Minimum Requirements: For International Applicants Only
- The English language skill requirements for admission
- If your native language is not English, or if you graduated with a bachelor's degree from a non-English speaking country, you will need to take and submit your TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or other Graduate Council approved English language skills test scores.
- Non-English speaking countries are those which are not included in the Graduate School's list of English speaking countries.
- To be admitted to a certificate program, the applicant must score the following on the TOEFL:
TOEFL Exam Type Required Score Paper-based 550 Computer-based 213 Internet 80
Transfer of Credits
Six credits of coursework taken as a UF non-degree student can be applied toward a certificate program. Coursework from another university cannot be accepted for credit toward a certificate. No more than 6 credits taken as a non-degree student can be applied towards a certificate.
In order for the credits to be applied towards the certificate, the following criteria have to be met:
- The student must be formally admitted to the certificate program.
- The non-degree coursework grades must be a B grade or higher.
- The coursework taken as a non-degree student must pertain to the certificate program the student is admitted to.